Electrical tubing and materials. This is a step-by-step process of creating a path or passage, through which you will route your cables.
You do this using PVC pipes for electrical wiring. Tubing materials are needed conduit piping materials, that will enable you to create a passage for your cables without any difficulties.
To start, I will talk about electrical tubing for a house or building.
Electrical tubing for a house.
Just like I have mentioned, above, electrical tubing is a step-by-step process of creating a path for cables. Allow me to share with you the process that I use to do house wiring piping for a house.
The first thing to consider before you start your piping for electrical wiring works is to know what appliances and gadgets will be installed in that house or building.
Once you know the gadgets that will be in a house, you are in a better position to know what pipe wiring material you need to complete your project for electrical tubing.
In electrical tubing, the most important material to use is a conduit pipe. Conduits are made from a number of materials and they come in different electrical wiring pipe types and sizes.
The common materials used in making conduit pipes are metal electrical conduits or galvanised iron and PVC electrical conduits.
At this stage, it is worth mentioning that conduit pipes can either be flexible or non-flexible. You can use PVC flexible electrical conduit pipe or metal electrical flexible pipe.
What are the most used electrical conduit pipe sizes in house tubing?
The most commonly used electrical conduit pipe size in house electrical tubing is a 20mm conduit pipe. What does this 20mm electrical conduit pipe size mean, the 20mm is the diameter of the conduit pipe.
Apart from a 20mm conduit pipe, a 25mm conduit size is used in electrical pipe wiring for a house.
The process of Electrical tubing for a house.
Now that you know the gadgets and appliances that will be in the house, you are good to start tubing works. What do electrical tubing works consist of?
When you are using a flush mounting way of tubing, you start by chiselling the walls where you will embed your conduit pipes.
At this stage, you install the boxes for sockets outlets, switch outlets, data points, TV points and telephone outlets.
This is not all, while you are installing these outlets, you also install the meter box and the distribution board.
I know you are wondering if this is the entire process of electrical tubing done? The simple answer is no this is just an overview. Below is a list of the steps that you take for easy and proper electrical pipe wiring works.
- Chiselling of walls
- mounting of sockets and switch boxes
- Mounting of conduit pipes
- Mounting of meter boxes and distribution boards
- Interconnection or segmenting of circuits.
I am now going to walk you through the above-mentioned steps.
Chasing of walls.
The common practice is to cut the walls with an angle grinder then you chisel using a hammer and chisel.
The first thing that you do before cutting the walls, you mark the points that you want to cut. What is the correct way to chisel?
There are two ways of chiselling the walls. you can either cut in a horizontal way or vertical.
Mounting of sockets and switch boxes.
When mounting the sockets and switch boxes, you should ensure they are mounted at the correct heights.
Not only should you mount the boxes at the correct heights, but you should also align them with a level. This ensures that all sockets and switch boxes are at the same height in the entire house.
Mounting of Distribution board and meter box.
These two electrical pipe fittings are very important in electrical tubing for a house. Therefore, they should be mounted in such a way that they are easily accessible to people in a house.
They are two basic types of installation. The one being flush mounting and the other surface mounting.
Actually, you should decide beforehand the type of installation that you will use. This will help you to buy the correct electrical conduit fittings.
Flush mounting is widely used when all the pipe wiring materials are concealed in the wall. This kind of mounting is tidier.
When it comes to surface mounting, you install either your meter box or distribution board on the surface of the mounting area.
Mounting of conduit pipes.
Electrical conduit pipes protect the electrical wires from being damaged and provide a path through which you can route your circuit.
PVC electrical conduits are basically concealed in the walls. At times you will find that one length of a conduit pipe can not complete the entire path for a given circuit.
Then how do you complete the route? You use couplings or female bushes to join or connect two pieces of conduit pipes.
When you want to connect a conduit pipe to either distribution or switch box, use an adaptor or male bush.
Interconnection and segmenting electrical circuits.
What do I mean when I say interconnections and segmenting of electrical circuits? To complete the process of electrical pipe works, you need to connect all lighting circuits together and route them to the distribution board.
You do the same for sockets outlet circuits you connect all sockets outlets together and route them to the distribution board.
How about segmenting the circuits. This is a situation where you have more sockets outlet than a single 32A circuit breaker can accommodate.
For example, if a 32A circuit breaker can handle 5 sockets outlets when on full load. Then your house has 10 sockets outlets.
For the house not to be overloaded on sockets outlets. You split the electrical tubing for the house into two circuits.
The first circuit carries 5 sockets outlets, while the other circuit will carry the remaining 5 sockets.
You do the same for the lighting circuit. It is important to mention at this point that when you want your electrical wiring to be easy for you. Segment your circuits at the tubing stage.
Electrical pipe wiring materials.
I think It is a good idea for me to list the basic electrical tubing materials. These are the most commonly used electrical pipe fittings names
- Conduit pipes: are used to create a passage for cables.
- Saddles: you use them to hold conduit pipes firmly.
- Cable ties: they are used to clip together cables, and at times you can use them to fasten conduit pipes.
- Junction boxes: use junction cables to connect more than two pipes.
- Female bushes: you use female bushes to connect or join conduit pipes.
- Male bushes: are used to connect a conduit pipe to either a loop inbox or switch box.
- Ceiling nails: They are used to fasten saddles to wood trusses or timber.
- Glue: Is used to cement the join between either a female bush or male bush and conduit pipe.
- Switch boxes. This is a box where you mount a switch after electrical wiring to control lighting points.
- Sockets Outlet Boxes. Here is a place you mount your sockets it can either be a single or double socket.
- Meter boxes.In the meter box that is where you install your incomer circuit beaker and lightning arrestor
- Distribution board. This is the heart of electrical wiring in a house, all circuit in a house comes from the distribution board. Because this is the engine of a house, this is where you install all the circuit breakers in a home.
AIRLGEE Consumer Unit.
HT series distribution box is made of high-quality ABS plastic(Body +PC plastic) and a transparent cover.
- It is waterproof, has corrosion resistance and long life.
- Good sealing performance and its IP grade are IP65.
- It has easy knock-out wiring holes on each side of the box for easy wiring.
- This consumer unit is equipped with a 35mm din rail, which can be used to install miniature circuit breakers. (MCB)
- Airlgee consumer unit is widely used for household, illumination systems and outdoor temporal power distribution.
- It is also used in electrical and electronic control equipment in harsh environments, large factories, petrochemical, ships dock and many other application.
Black split loom wire flexible tubing.
This is a high-quality loom tubing.
- High-quality commercial-grade loom tubing is standard wire split loom and is most commonly used for organising and protecting wire runs.
- This standard loom will work with various automotive, marine and industrial wiring applications.
- Polyethene slit loom has become one the most popular conduits for holding groups of wires in position and protecting the wires against abrasion and crushing,
- When bent or twisted, the split basically remains closed.
House wiring electrical slab piping.
Electrical slab tubing is electrical tubing that is done in concrete walls and slabs. When you are building a high-rise house or building, you have to create a path for the cables in the concrete slab.
In slab pipework, you have to remember that you have to put both lighting and socket outlets conduit pipes.
Here for you to do this work properly, you must have a basic understanding of reading electrical drawings and schematics.
Why? you ask! At decking level, the walls partitioning rooms that will be built on the slab are not built.
I am meaning that you have to work closely with a bricklayer and the electrical drawing to mark the correct positions for lighting points and sockets outlets. I know in modern homes you have an air conditioner, data sockets and tv sockets.
Mark all the positions as required. You can learn more about PVC electrical conduits in concrete slabs here.
What is your experience with electrical tubing for a house? What is the best way to do electrical tubing? I have shared with you how I do it. If you have any questions or contributions, feel free to comment in the comments section below.